One of my favorite dishes is stuffed peppers. There are lot of different ways to do stuffed peppers but this recipe I just grabbed whatever was in the house and just put it all together. Stuffed peppers can be made in many different ways with many different stuffing. Some people like to add white rice and mix it in equal proportions to the meat but today I actually used Couscous instead to make this delicious Stuffed Peppers with Couscous. Usually I have white rice in the fridge, but I didn’t have any and I was not going to have time to wait for the rice to be made so I decided to try something different. I always love to improvise and try different things.
The peppers are great for dinner parties, family get-together s, and holiday meals, or when you are feeding a crowd and that is always the case with us. lol.
Here is the recipe for the Stuffed Peppers with Couscous:
4 Red bell peppers (you can either had red, yellow or green but red is my favorite)
For the filling:
1 pound of ground meat
1 red onion
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 crushed garlic
1 tablespoon of oregano
2 tablespoon of Goya Adobo
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper
1 bag of Couscous
1 can of corn
1 can of sweet peas
1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
Salt according to your taste
1. Season the ground meat with the salt, oregano, adobo, pepper and make sure that you mix the seasoning so that it absorbs the flavor. In a pan, add some vegetable oil and a little bit of sugar when you see the sugar turning to a brown color (not black because that means you are burning the sugar) then it’s time to cook the meat. Make sure you move it around with a spoon and then add your tomato paste and onions. Add the cilantro and leek to your liking or if you need to add salt then this is the time to add flavor to your meat. After it is cooked, place the meat in a bowl and save.
2. Cut the top of the bell peppers and cut them in half, remove the seeds and separate. Boil in a pan for about 10 minutes. You don’t want the peppers to be too soft. I prefer to cut them in half so it is easier to eat but some people like to serve the bell peppers in whole for presentation.
3. In a separate pan, make the couscous. It only should take about 6 minutes to make. Jut add a little bit of butter, salt and I like to add chicken broth to give it more taste. After it’s finished cooking, let it sit so it can continue to cook.
4. Take a mixing bowl and mix the meat, corn, sweet pea and couscous all together.
5. Stuff the peppers, add two tablespoon on spaghetti sauce on top of the peppers and top it off with the cheese. In my case, I love cheese so I always add lots of cheese!
6. In a pirex that have already been greased with Pam or butter, enter the peppers in a preheated oven of 350 for just 10 minutes or until you see the pepper wrinkles.
Don’t forget to let me know how much you liked this recipe. Most importantly please subscribe!