Most Dominican women have been taught to do a doobie or a dry hair wrap. The doobie or dry wrap is just brushing your hair and wrapping it tightly around your head, held in place with hair pins. Finished off with a scarf or bandana to keep in place and your hair will result in silky and manageable hair. It keeps your hair straight after you get your hair blown out and increases the chance of it staying straight longer. If you have curly hair like I do, you know that it takes a long time to straighten out your hair so you want it to last as long as possible. With this method and the right hair products, you can make your hair look sleek and shiny.
Hair products is super important to use at least every other day such as avocado, aloe, cinnamon, and wheat germ are just a few of the products that we use to condition the hair. It is all about using lots of conditioner at least every other day. My next recommendation is to not wash your hair every day. It really loses its moisture and makes the hair brittle and dry.
In order to keep your hair from getting damaged, stay away from the flat iron, hot combs, or strong chemicals for straightening.
Here are the steps to do a dry hair wrap:
- Shampoo the hair with a moisturizing shampoo then condition it thoroughly so that it keeps it healthy.
- Brush out all the tangles with a wide brush. Apply setting lotion so that the hair stays in place while you do the hair wrap.
- Take the hair and split it in the middle. Brush half of the hair all in one direction towards the left. Apply lotion as needed to prevent hair frizz. Hair clips will help your hair stay in place.
- Tie a hairnet or a bandana to maintain the dry wrap from falling apart.
- It’s better to do the dry wrap right before going to bed. That way your hair takes the shape of the dry wrap.
- Remove the hairnet or bandana and style your hair as you like with your hands or brush. I prefer using my hands to shape my hair.
You can re-wrap your hair every night before you go to sleep to make that salon or straight look last longer. Once you learn how to do a doobie, you will see how easy it is to style your hair. You will see an improvement with your hair if you also stop using the hot iron and replace it with doing a doobie.